Monday, November 10, 2008

Standing in Holy Places

Recently I taught a Relief Society lesson on the second coming and millennium. It was a very powerful lesson with so much to contemplate, especially when looking at the current state of the world. I have been giving a lot of thought to recent events that have taken place and feel that I need to write down some of my thoughts. As most are aware the passing of Proposition 8 in California has fueled a lot of controversy concerning Christian faiths, especially my church. I am heart broken to see people fighting with such an evil nature about this issue of defining marriage. I have been reluctant to voice my opinion openly because I tend to stay clear of controversial issues, however I feel that it is important for myself, for my family, especially my children, to know where I stand on this issue and why.

I truly find it an honor and privilege to call myself a Latter-Day Saint. I know that I might sound strange to some but I am grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Everything good that has come into my life has happened because I chose to become a member of this church and live the doctrines and teachings. I feel the blessings of the gospel in my life constantly and I consider that to be a miracle, especially when I look at the world today, which full of confusion and strife. As I contemplate these blessings, one thing that I am reminded of is how grateful I am to know that there is a prophet of God who literally speaks for the Lord. I don't have to question what He tells me because I know for whom he is speaking. Some may have a difficult time looking past the actual "man" however I am grateful for the Holy Spirit which has confirmed to me that President Monson is actually the Lord's prophet on the earth. Because of this I sustain him and am grateful to stand with him and all of the leaders of the church in defense of Marriage (being between a man and a woman).

Current events have brought me to the realization that the struggles Christians face are only going to become more difficult and the time is coming that we will have to take a stand for what we believe. We can no longer sit on the fence and expect others to fight our battles. After teaching this lesson and seeing the recent political events, I realize more now then ever that I need to engage myself in the cause for what is right and good. I need to constantly ask myself, "whose side am I on?" What is right and good may not be seen as such through the eyes of the world and it is easy to be deceived. This is why I am so grateful to know of and sustain a man that is called to be a prophet.

In the lesson, we talked about a scripture the Lord revealed to Joseph Smith regarding His second coming.

“With the sword and by bloodshed the inhabitants of the earth shall mourn; and with famine, and plague, and earthquake, and the thunder of heaven, and the fierce and vivid lightning also, shall the inhabitants of the earth be made to feel the wrath, and indignation, and chastening hand of an Almighty God, until the consumption decreed hath made a full end of all nations. … Wherefore, stand ye in holy places, and be not moved, until the day of the Lord come; for behold, it cometh quickly, saith the Lord” (D&C 87:6, 8).

After we read this scripture I asked the class what it meant to stand in holy places? Initially, when reading this scripture the first thought that came to my mind was physically standing in a church, temple, our homes or places where we can find safety and refuge during the last days leading up to the Lord's coming. However, there was one sister in our class that had a very interesting thought.
She said that standing in holy places may not only mean the actual place we stand (like previously stated) but also, the stand that we take on important issues? Do we stand on the side of the prophet (aka...the Lord) or do we stand on the side of the world? Are we firm in our faith even when it isn't popular and we are considered wrong or bigoted for it? The Lord tells us in this scripture that we are to stand in holy places and BE NOT MOVED. I hope and pray each day that my foundation is firm so that I can stay in holy places until the Lord comes, whenever that great day may be.

Though this might be difficult to do, I know if we stand on the side of the Lord the rewards are sure and great will be our joy. For this I thank God for a prophet!

No comments: