Sunday, October 12, 2008

Conference Faves

As always, I enjoy General Conference but there are always a few talks that stick out to me. These are talks that usually I really need to hear. I wanted to talk a little bit about what really hit me during conference.

The overall feeling that I came away with from conference was so uplifting. With the current way things are in the world I really needed that. It is so difficult for me to turn on the news and not become consumed with all the negativity and downers that come with the election and the economy. I loved the messages of hope, unity and joy that our leaders spoke of. The two talks that really stood out to me were by Elder Holland on "The Ministry of Angels" and Elder Bednar "Pray Always." I am so grateful that I really listened during the Saturday session of conference because this is when both of these talks were given. During each session of conference I listen, but on previous Sat. session I am running errands or busy doing things around the house. This year Shon and I decided that we were going to focus our time directly on conference and not allow anything to distract us. After conference was over we both talked about how grateful we were that we made that decision and how much we learned from doing so.

Elder Hollands talk on the power of angles really touched me. I loved that he spoke on this subject. I have had several personal experiences over the last few months, of which I won't go into detail, where I have felt the power of angels assisting me. I don't know how to describe it but I know and have felt them helping me, providing me with strength to accomplish what I needed to do. I have found great comfort in knowing that I am never alone and can call on my Heavenly Father and His angels for assistance. There is great power in knowing and experiencing this. Here are a few highlights that I loved:

He quotes Moroni 7:35-37, 30

As Mormon said to his son Moroni, who would one day be an angel:
“Has the day of miracles ceased?
“Or have angels ceased to appear unto the children of men? Or has he withheld the power of the Holy Ghost from them? Or will he, so long as time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man upon the face thereof to be saved?
“Behold I say unto you, Nay; for . . . it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men. . . . “For behold, they are subject unto [Christ], to minister according to the word of his command, showing themselves unto them of strong faith and a firm mind in every form of godliness.”9

I know that it is by Faith that I have experienced the help of my angles and my faith continues to grow as I experience their assistance. This next quote by Elder Holland is so powerful, and true...

"I ask everyone within the sound of my voice to take heart, be filled with faith, and remember the Lord has said He “would fight [our] battles, [our] children’s battles, and [the battles of our] children’s children.”10 And what do we do to merit such a defense? We are to “search diligently, pray always, and be believing[. Then] all things shall work together for [our] good, if [we] walk uprightly and remember the covenant wherewith [we] have covenanted.”11 The latter days are not a time to fear and tremble. They are a time to be believing and remember our covenants."

I love so many things about this quote. We can know that the Savior is fighting our battles and taking our burdens upon himself, all we have to do is "be believing and remember our covenants." When I think of power, I think of obedience to my covenants. When I am keeping my covenants I know that I am endowed with power from God to accomplish what I need to, and do His will. When I keep my covenants, I am able to meet the challenges that I face. If there is anything that I hold closer to me, it is the covenants that I have made.

I loved the last thought Elder Holland gave...

"In the process of praying for those angels to attend us, may we all try to be a little more angelic ourselves—with a kind word, a strong arm, a declaration of faith and “the covenant wherewith [we] have covenanted.”15 Perhaps then we can be emissaries sent from God when someone, perhaps a Primary child, is crying....."

This just puts it all in perspective for me. My goal is to be more "angelic" so that I can be an instrument for my Heavenly Father and help others. This is something I am working on and this talk gives me the hope and faith that I can.

1 comment:

Matthew Hansen said...

hey, this is good stuff.