Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Divine Destiny

Today I went with a friend to visit teach a sister in our ward. After we visited I shared with her the message out of the Aug. Ensign "Each sister is a beloved daughter of Heavenly parents and has a divine destiny." As I studied it this morning before our appointment, a couple of thoughts came to me.

President James E. Faust (1920–2007), Second Counselor in the First Presidency:
“A conviction that you are a daughter of God gives you a feeling of comfort in your self-worth. It means that you can find strength in the balm of Christ. It will help you meet the heartaches and challenges with faith and serenity”
(“What It Means to Be a Daughter of God,” Liahona, Jan. 2000, 123; Ensign, Nov. 1999, 102).

There is such truth to this statement. Growing up as a young woman, I remember each Sunday reciting the Young Women Theme and being reminded that I am a daughter of god, and I have infinite worth. It is amazing to think that and remember how important I am to my Heavenly Father. That was so important in helping me make key decisions in my life which as a result have brought me so much happiness. I look at my sweet little girls and hope they can have their own personal experiences to understand who they are and what their purpose is in life. Only God can truly help us understand this. I am grateful for my understanding of these principles.

President Spencer W. Kimball (1895–1985):
“All of you need to drink in deeply the gospel truths about the eternal nature of your individual identity and the uniqueness of your personality. You need, more and more, to feel the perfect love which our Father in Heaven has for you and to sense the value he places upon you as an individual. Ponder upon these great truths, especially in those moments when (in the stillness of such anxiety as you may experience as an individual) you might otherwise wonder and be perplexed”
(Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball [2006], 222).

I find that living in the world it is very easy to lose sight of who I really am. This quote reminds me that I am important and that my personality and uniqueness that make me who I really am, is important and matters. As I work through my own personal struggles, knowing and understanding this provides me with such strength. I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for creating me with my own talents and abilities which allow me to grow and experience the joy of life.

1 comment:

Jessica H said...

I appreciate your entry. I am sitting at my computer preparing a Relief Society lesson on "How the Lord Sees Us." your words and stories will help me guide the lesson in a better way.