Monday, August 18, 2008

Reality of Life

Today while my kids were sleeping, I had a few moments to myself to study and think about some things. I am going on vacation for the first time without my husband or kids this week. I never realized the emotions this would stir up in me. I have had thoughts pass through my mind like, "what if I don't make it back to them?" or "what if something happens to them while I am gone?" I think these are common feelings that a mother feels when she leaves her family and responsibilities behind. Don't get me wrong, I am excited for a little get away, a little vacation, but it is difficult leaving the people I love and care for behind.

During my few moments to ponder I was led to Aug 08 Enzign article by President Monson titled "May we so live." So many things impressed me while reading this, so I want to share a few of them.

He talks about death and the difficulties that come with it. "Death is one fact that no one can escape or deny." He also says "For the most part, we think of it as an enemy of human happiness."


But then he follows up by saying that "the darkness of death can be dispelled by the light of revealed truth."


What is the revealed truth Pres. Monson is speaking of? It is the revealed truth of the Savior and his gospel.


John 11:25-26

25) Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
26) And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?


In answer to the question at the end of this verse, I gratefully say yes! I believe that through Christ we will all be made alive again. That is wonderful to know and brings great peace to my soul during these troubled times. Not only can the Savior save me physically from death but spiritually as well. Because I believe in Him, love Him and strive to follow Him, I find great comfort in this verse. Like Pres. Monson said, I find peace in the light of revealed truth.


Then Pres. Monson asked a question that really made me self reflect on my life and what I am doing NOW.


What am I doing today?
Have I done any good?
Have I helped anyone in need?

Because life is fragile and we don't know when our time will be to leave this earth, we must make the most of each day. I think, well for me at least, it is easy to forget this. I need a sign above my head that I see each morning that says....Emily make the most of today. Live life to the fullest. I know when I answer yes to the questions above I am much happier, much more fulfilled in my life. When I am doing good and helping those who need my help I draw so much closer to my Savior and gain a greater perspective of life and really, that is what it is all about.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Emily, I read this article 'May we so live'. It was really heartwarming and positive. Made me stop and think how I am helping others.
Thanks for your post.
Carol x

Emily said...

Carol,
I am glad you found it that way. I am thinking of you so much. I hope you are finding peace during this difficult time. You have such amazing strength. Thank you for your example.