Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Helaman 10

This morning I am reading again about Nephi and some of the promises he received from the Lord because of his faith and service.


I love what the Lord says to Nephi in verses 4&5


4 Blessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with unwearyingness declared the word, which I have given unto thee, unto this people. And thou hast not feared them, and hast not sought thine own life, but hast sought my will, and to keep my commandments.


5 And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will.

Because Nephi is unweary in declaring the word, has not sought his own life but sought the Lords will and kept the commandments, he is promised some incredible blessings in return. In verse 4 in the footnotes there are some adjectives that describe Nephi:

Dedication, Dependability, Magnifying Callings, Steadfastness and Self-sacrifice.

I read each of these adjectives and wondered where do they fit into my life? Would I be described like this? I know that I am nowhere near where Nephi was, so what a great example he is to me. With all of these words describing him, no wonder he had great power and was promised even greater blessings.

Below are the blessings mentioned in verse 5

1. He will be blessed forever (wouldn't that be nice)
2. He will be mighty in word, deed, faith and works. (Because he sacrificed everything he in turn receives might in every aspect of his life. That would be awesome.)
3. The Lord tells Nephi that what ever he commands, will be done, because the Lord knows that Nephi will not do anything that goes against His will. Nephi has been tried, tested and passed with flying colors. He has been found worthy. This causes me to reflect and ask myself.....

"How does my will line up with the Lord's will?
Where is my heart?
Do I care more about my agenda or do I put the Lord first in everything?"

These are difficult questions and I know more often then not I fall short, but Nephi gives me hope that it is possible to be exactly in line with His will at all times.

One of the greatest blessings that Nephi receives is the sealing power in verse 7

7 "Behold, I give unto you power, that whatsoever ye shall seal on earth shall be sealed in heaven; and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven; and thus shall ye have power among this people."

In this verse the word "seal" connects with Matt 16:19 where Peter was given the same keys to seal

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

The word that stands out to me in this verse is bind. I looked up the word bind in the dictionary and this is one of the 25 definitions:

"to unite by any legal or moral tie"

We know that the power to bind is the sealing power or the power to seal a marriage for eternity. In the footnote under the word bind in verse 19 it refers to:
TG Genealogy and Temple Work.
TG Marriage, Celestial.
TG Salvation for the Dead.
TG Sealing.

I can't help but think about the blessing this power has been for my life and those that I know and love. There is great comfort and peace in knowing and understanding this principle. Nephi was a wonderful prophet. I really have learned so much from his work and example in following the Lord's will. I know that great blessings come from always putting Him first in my life.

No comments: