Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Draper Temple

I must admit that blogging has not been my top priority. The end of the year keeps me busy enough and now that I am well into January I feel like I am able to breath again. I have a lot that I have been contemplating so I hope to keep my blog/journal up just so I am able to document my thoughts and the lessons I am learning.
The past week has been a very memorable week for me. I have mentioned before on this blog and our family blog that we are excited for the Draper temple to be dedicated in March. Last week the open house began for VIP guests, and later this week will open up to the public. It is incredible to think that I live 2 min. from a temple. I have always been fortunate to live close to a temple, something that I know many friends and family members haven't had. Believe me when I say that realize this has been such a blessing. The closest temple to me when I was growing up was the Jordan River temple about 15 min. away. It was dedicated 3 years after I was born, so I really don't remember it being built and the excitement for a new temple. It was just always around to me. Then when we moved to Colorado, we had to drive to the Denver temple, which was about 1 hour away. Though we had to plan and put forth more of an effort to attend, I still realize that it was a blessing to even live that close. When we moved back to Draper we knew that we were going to be near the new temple, however I never realized how I would truly feel about this. I feel emotion filling up inside of me right now as I describe my feelings.
Last week I was able to volunteer at a V.I.P tour of the temple. The tour was relatively slow that day so I was able to take my own tour of the temple. All temples are beautiful, holy, sacred buildings dedicated to the Lord. Even though this temple hasn't been officially dedicated yet, I felt that it was His house when I entered in through the front doors. I began to cry out of gratitude for the temple and the blessing it has been to my life. As I toured through the building I was in awe. My most favorite room besides the celestial room (which is gorgeous and amazing in every sense of the word), the brides room was the room where I felt such an overwhelming feeling. To say it is beautiful, just isn't enough, but as I entered in, I saw this mental picture of my girls, one day standing in this room with me preparing to marry their own sweet hearts. It is something that caused me great joy and gratitude and brought tears to my eyes. So many blessings have come to my life because of the temple, the promises I have made to the Lord there. My covenants have real power and I feel it daily in my life. I will be forever grateful to my Heavenly Father for these blessings! We take our children through the temple open house this weekend. They are excited and can't wait to see it.

Here is a link regarding the temple and some pictures:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705276337,00.html


The Brides Room

The Baptismal Font


Sealing Room



No comments: