Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Helaman 6:36

Today this verse really jumped out at me:

"And thus we see that the Lord began to pour out his Spirit upon the Lamanites, because of their easiness and willingness to believe in his words."

The part easiness & willingness to believe is pretty powerful. I began to cross reference and really think about why the Lord would bless us so much more if we are willing and make it easy (for our selves and possibly for others) to believe or have faith in Him.

Exodus 25:2
"Speak unto the children of Israel, that they bring me an offering: of every man that giveth it willingly with his heart ye shall take my offering."

2 Corithians 8:12
"For if there be first a willing mind it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not"


First I believe that being willing is connected to our faith. Am I willing to give what the Lord asks of me? Am I willing to make an offering to him? In the cross reference, it also states "Initiative". Do I take the initiative to ask and find out what the Lord wants, rather then wait till the last minute and decide to follow him when things get difficult, or complain and make excuses? I have experienced both scenarios and I can say that I have felt the blessings of taking the initiative and being willing. Not only do I experience great blessings but my faith is strengthened.

The next scripture talks about having a willing mind. I think sometimes it is easy to say, "I don't want any more or I have all that I need." I have met many people who have said this. When we have a willing mind, then I believe our minds are enlighten and the power of the Spirit is able to expand our learning and knowledge. Our faith grows (as stated above) and we then do what is expected and asked of us. When we really come to know and understand more of our Heavenly Father, we desire to want more of his Spirit and to continue to increase our understanding. The word easiness is very simple yet powerful. Following God and understanding Him really can be easy. We are the ones that choose to make it difficult.

1 comment:

Don said...

This post was my spiritual boost this morning. I had to go update my BoM blog with some additional commentary because you spurred me to re-reading Helaman 6:34-36.

Thanks for the great insight!