Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Helaman Chapter 5

Today I am reading in Helaman chapter 5 and I had a couple of thoughts I wanted to write down.


Verse 2-
"They who chose evil were more numerous than they who chose good, therefore they were ripening for destruction."

This really stood out to me. I would like to believe that today there are more people who choose good then bad but it seems like the older I get the more this is changing. The part where it says, "They were ripening for destruction," was very interesting. So, because they were choosing to DO evil, they were traveling down a road that would lead to their destruction (I believe both spiritually and possibly physically).

Verse 9- Helaman is talking to his sons Nephi and Lehi

He says, "O remember, remember, my sons, the words which king Benjamin spake unto his people; yea, remember that there is no other way nor means whereby man can be saved, only through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ, who shall come; yea, remember that he cometh to redeem the world."

Now, this is before the birth of Christ and there are some great lessons that Helaman is teaching.
First, we are to remember the words of our prophets. Even though King Benjamin had died about 100 years before, they were still to remember the words that he taught.

Second, we are to remember that it is only through the Savior that we can be saved, only through the atoning blood.

Third, He reminds us "why" the Savior will/did come to the earth and that is to redeem us. To provide a way back to our Heavenly Father.
Very, simple, yet clear as to why we need Jesus Christ.

Verse 10-
"The Lord surely should come to redeem his people but that he should not come to redeem them in their sins, but to redeem them from their sins.

Verse 11-
And he hath power given unto him from the Father to redeem them from their sins because of repentance.

Verse 12-
And now, my sons, remember remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."

I love these verses so much. I love verse 10 that teaches us that Christ will redeem us from our sins. This shows the role that we play in the redemptive process. We can't redeem ourselves but we choose to repent and follow Christ and He is the one to save us from our sins. Then verse 11 teaches that Christ has been sent by his Father and has been given this power from Him. I love that. Then for the biggy in verse 12. Christ is the foundation. After reading this I began to ponder..."What is the foundation of my life, my family? Have I built my foundation upon Christ? Does my life reflect this in the choices I make, both publicly and privately?" I hope that the answer is yes for me in all of these areas. I can say that everything good and wonderful in my life has come from obedience to the commandments that God has given. When I obey, I am blessed... it is just that simple.

Verse. 17 states that Nephi and Lehi "did preach with great power."

I know that when we testify of Christ and share his gospel, the Spirit will speak to those we teach. I have experienced this on both ends in my life, as a teacher and the one being taught. It is an amazing experience to be used as the Lord's mouth piece. To be his instrument. There is nothing more incredible to be endowed to teach with power. I treasure my experiences as a missionary specifically called to teach. And now as a wife,mother, teacher, friend to express my feelings and to feel the Spirit communicate is such a tender sweet experience, of which I treasure always.

No comments: