Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Helaman 7

Nephi is such a wonderful missionary. While I was reading about his experience I was caused to reflect about my own missionary experiences. I served as a "full time" missionary in England about 8 years ago (where has the time gone??). When I reflect back to that time in my life I am reminded of spiritual growth that occurred for me and so many others. I remember watching others become a witness of Jesus Christ and take His name upon them by being baptized. That was a wonderful experience, very sacred to me.

As I read of Nephi's missionary account, in Verse 3

"And they did reject all his words insomuch that he could not stay among them, but returned again unto the land of his nativity."

I was sadly reminded of those experiences where people would kindly and sometimes not so kindly reject us and our message. It was heart breaking. I still remember the first door that was slammed in my face and my companion smiling and moving on like nothing happened. Boy she really strengthened my faith. I was so sad and couldn't believe that someone would reject a message that brings peace, hope, joy and an understanding of God and His plan for us. I learned very quick and realized that people weren't so much rejecting me as much as the message, which I have to say is even more difficult. My heart ached for these people.

As I read through this chapter I couldn't help but compare to today and see how similar these societies are. Full of corruption and wickedness.

Verse 5
"Condemning the righteous because of their righteousness; letting the guilty and the wicked go unpunished because of their money."

Nephi begins to reflect back to the history of his family (Nephi and Lehi that left Jerusalem) and how he wishes he could joy with them...

Verse7
"Oh, that I could have had my days in the days when my father Nephi first came out of the land of Jerusalem, that I could have joyed with him in the promised land; then were his people easy to be entreated, firm to keep the commandments of God, and slow to be led to do iniquity; and they were quick to hearken unto the words of the Lord-"

I love the way Nephi describes his "father" Nephi. He was easy to be entreated, FIRM to keep the commandments and SLOW to be led to do iniquity. These are great attributes to have. I cross referenced the word FIRM and was led to

D&C 5:22

"And that you be firm in keeping the commandments wherewith I have commanded you; and if you do this, behold I grant unto you eternal life, even if you should be slain. "

Again, here we learn that being FIRM in keeping the commandments is connected to obedience and the Lords promises those that are obedient will be granted eternal life. I agree with Nephi that it would be wonderful to live in a society that not only believed this but practiced it.

As a missionary I had the same desire that Nephi did, to bring people to a knowledge and understanding of Jesus Christ and His gospel and give them an opportunity to accept it and become a part of His living church. It is heart breaking to see people reject this great news but so much more sweet to witness those that understand it and say "I want it."

Last night I was instant messaging a friend of mine that I met in England. She is such a beautiful person. We were discussing life and catching up when our conversation took more of a personal turn. She had mentioned to me that a while back she had been searching, really searching to find her faith. To find God. She read the Bible, Qur'an and other religious books during her search. She told me that she had so many questions but didn't find any answers so she quit all together. I asked her if she had ever read the Book of Mormon and she told me that she had not. I asked her if she would read it, with an open mind and continue her search. She said that she would read it. It was wonderful. I was so excited for her to take this journey because I know the fruit that comes from sincerely searching and reading this book. I for myself have come to understand Jesus Christ and the role that he plays in my life and why He is important. As I study the Book of Mormon my faith in the Bible became even stronger and together they provided an anchor to my faith, to my life. Together they help me come to understand a clearer picture. God knows my friend and her heart. I know that if we are truly searching he will lead us to Him and His Son. It is wonderful.

In the last 5 verses Nephi warns the Nephites of their pride, secret societies and wicked abominations which will lead to their destruction if they do not repent. He finishes with this verse.

Verse 29
"I do not say that these things shall be, of myself because it is not of myself that I know these things; but behold, I know that these things are true because the Lord God has made them known unto me, therefore I testify that they shall be."

I believe there is an underlying principle being taught here. Nephi knew these things because the Lord communicated it to him through the power of the Spirit. We are able to know what is TRUE (or of God) if we are in tune with the Holy Ghost. The only way that I know the Book of Mormon is true and inspired of God is because the Holy Ghost has made it known to me. We are promised in Moroni 10:5

"And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."

It is a sure promise that we can have faith in and trust. I know that my friend can come to understand this for herself. I have faith that she will.

No comments: