Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Faith and Hope

It has been a while since I have written and it isn't because I am ungrateful, it is literally because I am on the go that I hardly have time to sit down and think. It is 11PM, the kids (including) Shon are all in bed and I finally have some down time to think, reflect and write. I am just grateful to be able to write down a few thoughts and a recent experience I had.

Yesterday morning Dave (Shon's step dad) said that for Family Home Evening we were going to discuss FAITH. He asked me to think about what comes first, Faith or Hope? Then to find some scriptures to back up my point. My only comment was "Yeah, I hardly have time to read one verse, you really think I am going to be able to sit down and study and find the answers." He just laughed and left for the day. Well, later that morning, Taylor was down for her morning nap and it was beautiful outside so Avery wanted to venture into the backyard to play. I found myself alone with a few minutes to myself so I opened my scriptures to do my daily study. Some days my study lasts for all of about 2 min. but I found that I had a bit more time on my hands. I opened my scriptures to Alma 22 which is where I had left off in my study on the previous day. This is such a great part of the Book of Mormon. Ammon has just taugh King Lamoni and as a result King Lamoni had an amazing spiritual experience and is converted. Well, in chapter 22 Aaron is teaching King Lamoni's father and the first thing that struck me was how much of a desire this man has to learn. He had a desire to understand and this provided a great teaching moment for Aaron. The following verses are what really stood out to me...

15 And it came to pass that after Aaron had expounded these things unto him, the king said: What shall I do that I may have this eternal life of which thou hast spoken? Yea, what shall I do that I may be born of God, having this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast, and receive his Spirit, that I may be filled with joy, that I may not be cast off at the last day? Behold, said he, I will give up all that I possess, yea, I will forsake my kingdom, that I may receive this great joy.

16 But Aaron said unto him: If thou desirest this thing, if thou wilt bow down before God, yea, if thou wilt repent of all thy sins, and will bow down before God, and call on his name in faith, believing that ye shall receive, then shalt thou receive the hope which thou desirest.

As I was reading, I found the answers to the question that Dave gave to me just before he left for work. I then began to search deeper and deeper to try and understand more about Faith and Hope. This led me to Ether 12:4 from the footnote.....

4 Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God.

Hope comes of faith and makes an anchor to our souls. When we have Faith & Hope we are always doing good and glorifying God! I love this... So then later during Family Home Evening, Dave led me to the well known scripture Hebrews 11:1

Now Faith is the substance of the things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Faith and Hope are so tightly woven together. You simply can not have one without the other. It is like a circle, if you have Faith, then you must have Hope and if you have Hope you also then have Faith. It was such a great day for me. I felt so spiritually enlightened. It was wonderful to have the time maybe 30 min, if that and be able to sit down and really feast with the scriptures. It reminded me of the days as a missionary. How I miss those days, when I had so much time to sit and feast at the word. I love my life now however sometimes I feel that it is moving so fast that I can hardly hang on for the ride. It is a fantastic ride for sure. I realized how much I need to really sift, search and ponder through the scriptures. I love the scriptures so much. I love the story of King Lamoni's father and the powerful conversion he had.... his powerful conversion continues...

17 And it came to pass that when Aaron had said these words, the king did bow down before the Lord, upon his knees; yea, even he did prostrate himself upon the earth, and cried mightily, saying:

18 O God, Aaron hath told me that there is a God; and if there is a God, and if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee, and that I may be raised from the dead, and be saved at the last day. And now when the king had said these words, he was struck as if he were dead.

I love my Heavenly Father. He knows each of us so well. He knows what experience we need in order to lead us to Him. I love Him so much more as I learn and study from the scriptures. I know it is because I am filled with the Spirit as I study. The Holy Ghost is what is helping me become a better wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, neighbor . I can't wait to find the time to study more tomorrow.

No comments: