Friday, February 6, 2009

Miracles wrought by Christ


I am currently studying Jesus the Christ by Elder Talmage. My attempt to write down my thoughts will in no way compare to the skill, knowledge and spiritual level of Elder Talmage however I feel that I can come away with something to learn/share, profound or not. I am thoroughly enjoying this book. I am amazed at how in depth Elder Talmage goes in helping me receive a deeper perspective of the Savior, His life and purpose. There is so much to learn. So much to contemplate. Last night I was reading before I went to sleep and there was a paragraph that I wanted to share in Chapter 11 titled From Judea to Galilee under the section Miracles in General.

"In the contemplation of the miracles wrought by Christ, we must of necessity recognize the operation of a power transcending our present human understanding. In this field, science has not yet advanced far enough to analyze and explain. To deny the actuality of miracles on the ground that, because we cannot comprehend the means, the reported results are fictitious, is to arrogate to the human mind the attribute of omniscience, by implying that what man cannot comprehend cannot be, and that therefore he is able to comprehend all that is. The miracles of record in the Gospels are as fully supported by evidence as are many of the historical events which call forth neither protest nor demand for further proof. To the believer in the divinity of Christ, the miracles are sufficiently attested; to the unbeliever they appear but as myths and fables.
To comprehend the works of Christ, one must know Him as the Son of God; to the man who has not yet learned to know, to the honest soul who would inquire after the Lord, the invitation is ready; let him 'Come and see.'"


Personally I have witnessed MANY miracles in my life. As a result my faith and trust in God and His Son have grown. I am always amazed by those who fail to recognize God and His power. A recent example of this was the US Airways flight that landed in the Hudson River. How is it possible that this plane was able to land in the water with a pilot that was skilled/trained for such an event and everyone on board would live to tell about it? Is this a miracle? I believe the answer is yes. The question I ask myself is why do I believe it? I believe the answer is because I have accepted the invitation to "Come and See." I don't claim to know everything. As I read this book I realize how very little I do know. But I believe that is the beauty of it. I don't need to know the details of how God works to know that the blessings and miracles I experience come from Him. Faith, in and of itself is a miracle, of which I am grateful to have.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Hi Emily,
On a blog that I visit, there is a small picture of God's hands holding up the plane that crashed into the Hudson River. If you would like to see it the link is

http://seekinggraceonthenarrowpath.blogspot.com/

The survival of all these people is most definately a miracle. There are many miracles that God performs and yet people just don't see them or they try to justify them by earthly/worldly explanations. Yet one day, everyone will know the Truth.
I love reading your blog.
Take care.
Carol x