Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Bishop's Storehouse

Today I had a unique opportunity. I volunteered to help at our local Bishop's storehouse. For those that may not know, the bishop's storehouse system is a network of Church-owned and -operated commodity resource centers that function much like retail stores, except that goods cannot be purchased but rather are given to needy individuals whom local LDS bishops judge to be worthy and deserving of Church assistance. Recipients are invited to work or render service in various ways in exchange for the items they receive.

I had never served at the storehouse before today and wasn't sure what to expect. I spent 5 hours stocking shelves and during my time there I met many different people, old/young, male/female, single/married, including people from various races and religions. There was one family in particular that stood out to me. I met a family that moved to Utah from Afghanistan. They were such nice people with the most beautiful kids I had ever seen. They aren't members of my LDS faith, however every week various members of their family work at the storehouse and in return they are able to shop to provide for their family. The husband told me that his oldest son is going to school and works at the storehouse during his time off. Several things impressed me but I will just share two of them.
First I was amazed at how incredibly strong this family is. They moved to a strange new place with the hope of creating a better life. As I visited with them I couldn't help but notice how happy and grateful they were for everything they received. They were beautiful.
The second thing that impressed me was how much the church does to help people (ALL people) here in my community and I never really knew it. It is easy to become consumed with my own life and fail to notice those that are in real need. Today my eyes were opened and I saw how many people are in need and ways that I can help. There are bishop storehouses all over the world helping so many people. As I looked into the faces of several women that came into the store, I couldn't help but think how easily that could be me, their children could be my children, especially in today's economy. I am so grateful to the Lord for inspiring these programs. They are so important. I had such a wonderful experience serving today, I look forward to my next opportunity to help.

No comments: