Monday, June 23, 2008

Faith and Obedience

I have been studying a lot about the principles of faith and obedience. I teach in R/S and my next lesson is on Obedience. I have been thinking a lot about this principle and why it is important to our progression and salvation. Sometimes I think the adversary wants us to think that we really don't need to do anything because Christ died for us. Which I believe is a half turth. Yes he died for us and it is only through Him that we can return to Heavenly Father but he asks us to exercise our faith to show that we believe and want to follow Him. That is why covenants and ordinances are important. I am grateful for the restored gospel that has helped fill in these blanks for me.

I read a scripture in D&C 64:33-34 which really spoke to me so powerfully...

"Wherefore, be not weary in well doing for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.

Behold the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days."

I love this scripture. It says so much to me. First of all we need to be doing the little things. This week Shon and I discussed how we need to be reading our scriptures and praying together as a family. Shon mentioned that he didn't think it would really benefit Taylor, since she is only a year old, but I totally feel differently. I really feel that if we start now while she is young, then she will grow and understand that is is expected and important. I want to help my kids find their own relationship with Christ, feel and recognize the Spirit and develop their own desire to be obedient. We have been promised by every prophet that if we will read and pray together as a family, the spirit will be in our home stronger and our children will be strong to make right choices. I have faith in this promise and I know it is sure.

Just like the scripture said, "The Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind." I am really working on the "willing" part. I have experienced in my life that when I am willingly obedient, it is much better, much more powerful (feeling the spirit) then if I am obedient just because I am suppose to. I am really trying to find a deeper meaning for why I am doing and living the way I am. Why am I keeping my covenants? When I reflect upon the why, then it becomes much more meaningful to me. I have so much that has come from the Savior and I am grateful to be able to choose to follow him. I can honestly say that this scripture has manifested itself in my life. When I am willing and obedient I can honestly say that I have eaten the good of the land in these last days." What a blessing and a miracle.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Hi. It is so true that when we examin our hearts as to why we do the things we do, it helps bring us closer to the Lord and to develop a deeper and more meaningful relationship with Him. I have recently been asking myself the 'Why' question - Why am I a Christian? Why do I want to follow the Lord?....etc. Asking these type of questions also helps me to realise why I want other people to know and follow Jesus. He loves us so much and there is a hurting world out there who need to know about and accept the Lord Jesus.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Emily. Carol x