Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My friend Sandy

Today I have been thinking about people that have influenced me. I want to write about one person that has touched my life for good.

My senior year in high school I had a fun English teacher by the name of Sandy Van. Friends of mine that had taken her English class before gave rave reviews of her and I soon found out why. Sandy not only made her class fun but she made the remainder of my days in high school bearable and enjoyable. She helped me find a love for reading and she pushed me to become better. Toward the end of school we joked about staying in touch and meeting for breakfast to celebrate the end of the school year. Little did she know I would hold her to that promise. Shortly after I graduated I went and visited her at her cute little bungalow home on Beverly street. We laughed about school and talked about our futures. I told her of my dreams, my heart breaks and what I hoped to accomplish and she told me of hers. Over the past 13 years we have remained close friends. During the time that we lived close to each other we met monthly for dinner. She introduced me to my favorite restaurant, the Dodo and helped me develop a love of gardening. The years that we lived miles apart we still corresponded and kept in contact. She wrote to me while I was on my mission and I sent her birthday cards after she married and moved away. Last year after we moved back to Salt Lake City, one of the first items on my list was to reconnect with Sandy. Even though we hadn't talked for months, we picked up right where we left off and it was like we were never apart from each other. I missed her fun laugh and beautiful silver hair. I was finally able to introduce her to my girls and show her the life I had always dreamed of, being a full time mom.
Earlier this year I received a phone call from Sandy and by the tone in her voice I noticed that something wasn't right. She called to tell me that she had been diagnosed with incurable liver cancer and only had months to live. I was crushed. I have never had a close friend to me encounter such a difficult situation. Over the past 6 months since she shared this news with me I have thought so much of our friendship and what she means to me. I am grateful that she believed in me and has helped me become better. I love her humor and her perspective of life. I admire her strength to push through difficult situations and to make the most of them. I love her for her honesty and willingness to tell me how things really are. Sandy was first my teacher but became a true friend who has influenced my life forever. Even after Sandy passes on to her next stage of life I know that our friendship will continue. I will forever be a better person for knowing her. Sandy, I love you with all my heart.

No comments: